Wrexham murder accused 'didn't realise victim was dying'


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A BURGLAR accused of murder told a trial jury he did not know pensioner Glynis Solmaz was dying when he left her Wrexham home.

Christopher Curran, one of two men charged with the 65-year-old’s murder, said he was to have been the lookout, had only been in the house at Bryn Hafod, Caia Park, for two minutes and denied prosecution claims he was there longer.

Simon Medland, prosecuting at Mold Crown Court yesterday, suggested to Curran that he knew when he left her home that there was an elderly woman dying on the floor.

Curran replied: “I did not know she was dying.” He said he had not seen any blood or injuries. “It was only meant to be a burglary, not what happened to her.”

Mr Medland put it to Curran: “She was murdered as part of that carefully planned burglary that you were every much a part of as Alexandros Wetherill.”

Curran denied the claims.  Wetherill , 24, of Plas Gwyn, Wrexham and Curran, 34, of Broom Avenue, Brymbo, both deny murder. Wetherill admits manslaughter.

Together with Mrs Solmaz’s former son-in-law, Christopher Natt, 52, of North Road, Ponciau and David Lovell, 29, of Bloom Avenue, Brymbo, both have admitted conspiring to burgle her home.

Questioned by his own barrister, Nigel Power QC, Curran said he had been told by Natt that there was £40,000 in the safe in Mrs Solmaz’s home.

He had been told the house was not alarmed, her two Rottweiler dogs were soft and harmless, the bathroom window was always open and that if her black Vauxhall Corsa was not parked outside, then she would not be at home.

Curran said he went to the house with Natt to look at the bathroom window and took him up on his suggestion. He approached two burglars he knew and showed them the house.

One was keen to do it but he was “a smackhead” and not reliable and the other declined because he lived nearby.

It was on the Saturday before the burglary on February 18 that he approached Wetherill. He agreed he had tempted him, knowing about his financial difficulties.

They had been to the house on the Monday morning with a view to carrying out the burglary but it was too busy. Wetherill had told him he had been to the door earlier but Mrs Solmaz answered and he left after making an excuse.

That night the two of them returned, Wetherill got “psyched up” to do the job and went to the door.

Curran said that he expected Wetherill to knock the door to check Mrs Solmaz was not at home. He was expecting Wetherill to then go around the back and in through the bathroom window.

But he realised something was wrong when he went in through the front door. He waited for 40 minutes as the lookout, sent him a text asking him what he was doing and Wetherill said he had “a woman here who was knocked out”.

Curran told the jury: “I was not prepared for it.”

Wetherill asked him to get some keys for the safe and he went into the house.

He went upstairs, he did not see Mrs Solmaz but could hear her snoring, he said, and then went downstairs to the kitchen and returned with two sets of keys. Wetherill tried them in the safe and Curran said he also tried.

“That is when I saw Mrs Solmaz,”Curran said, adding he recalled Wetherill having his foot on the back of her head. “I don’t know if there was any pressure being used at all. He was not pushing down or anything,” Curran said.

Wetherill asked him to get tools to get the safe out and he went to Wetherill’s home and then to Brymbo, telling him he would return. But he said he made his mind up the moment he left that he was not going back. “To be honest with you I was not happy about it,” Curran said.

The jury heard how Wetherill got a lift with Lovell back to Brymbo.

There Curran opened the safe on waste ground and at Lovell’s home the £10,000 in the safe was shared out.

He said he got rid of the jewellery with his phone on the Wednesday, when he was told Mrs Solmaz had died.

The trial has been adjourned until Monday.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read