Families of A541 crash victims thank the farming community for its support


Rebecca Cole

THE families of two men seriously injured in a road accident on the day of the Denbigh and Flint Show have thanked the Denbighshire farming community for supporting them.

Mathew Evans and Dion Davies suffered life-changing injuries in the accident which happened on the A541 near Bodfari at about 9pm on the evening of the Denbigh and Flint Show, Thursday, August 21.

30-year-old Mr Evans, an agricultural contractor with a partner and two-year-old son, fractured his spine in two places and has been told by doctors he may never walk again.

While Mr Davies, a 24-year-old butcher from Groes, near Denbigh, who works at J Williams & Co butchers in the town, had to have his pelvis completely reconstructed and is now facing intensive physiotherapy to help him walk again.

A third man suffered minor injuries but was soon released from Ysbyty Glan Clwyd.

Ron Evans, Mathew’s dad said he was focusing on the positive support the family had received from friends and neighbours.

“This sort of situation makes you feel very humble.

“It’s unbelievable the way the farming community has been helping out raising money and offering to send drivers to cover his work.”

A neighbour even donated a tablet computer so Mathew can videocall his friends and family from the hospital and toys were donated for his son.

Gwen Davies, Dion’s mum, also spoke of her deep appreciation for those who had helped the family cope with the trauma of the accident.

“I want to say a huge thanks to the trauma team at Glan Clwyd (hospital) and the staff here in Stoke.

“And the farming community’s been wonderful.”

Ron said he was trying to stay positive for his son’s sake and added: “His spine has been pinned and screwed but his nerve was not severed so there’s a chance he will walk again.

“He’s strong, a fighter.

“Even so he’s not going to be home for a couple of months.”

And Gwen admitted she did not yet know how long Dion’s recovery would take.

“It’s been incredibly traumatic for him and there were times when we thought he wouldn’t pull through.

“It might take 12 months before he’s back to himself but it’s hard to say.

“We’ll just take it a day at a time.”

Both men have spent the last two weeks at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire in Stoke but Mr Evans has now been transferred to Gobowen Orthopaedic Hospital.

Police believe a car and the three men, who were on foot, were heading towards Trefnant from Bodfari when the accident happened.


Anyone with information can call 101 quoting reference number R131343.  

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read