Father-of-seven leaves family farewell message


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A MAN committed suicide after leaving a message to his family to remember him, an inquest heard.

Paul Stanley Dodd, of Westminster Crescent, Shotton, was found hanged at his home by police on August 11.

Mr Dodd, 42, who worked at the Morrisons store in Connah’s Quay, had lived in the area for five years with Liza, his wife of 15 years, and their seven children.

In a  statement read out at an inquest held in Ruthin yesterday, Mrs Dodd said she had left the family’s Shotton home with the children.

Mr Dodd had left his wife a voice message on the day of his death, telling her he loved her and asking her to keep pictures of him around so the children would remember him.

She did not hear the message until a few days later, having been advised by police officers not to listen to it immediately.

Earlier in the day, Mr Dodd had contacted colleague Jane Wilkinson with a text message which gave her cause for concern.

She contacted fellow Morrisons colleague Gary Dale to express her worries for Mr Dodd’s wellbeing.

In a statement read out by John Gittins, coroner for North Wales East and Central, Mr Dale said he last saw Mr Dodd on August 8 when Mr Dodd said he had been suffering from marital problems and was feeling depressed.

After being contacted by Ms Wilkinson, Mr Dale passed on his concerns to store manager Richard Jones and telephoned Mr Dodd at his home, but Mr Dodd said he would have to end the call as he was receiving another call from his wife.

In a statement, PC Christopher Monkiewicz said police were called by the manager of the Morrisons store. 

Officers went to Mr Dodd’s home and found the front and back doors locked.
After gaining entry, they found Mr Dodd hanging from the attic. He was identified by neighbour Steven Howard.

The inquest also heard how in March and April, Mr Dodd had visited Dr Janette Fells in Queensferry and told her he had suicidal thoughts.

A statement from Dr Fells said Mr Dodd had also attempted an overdose of medication on his birthday of July 26 and took a small overdose on August 1.

A post-mortem examination carried out by Dr Pauline Dowling at Wrexham Maelor Hospital found no underlying medical issues which would have contributed to Mr Dodd’s death. She gave the cause of his death as hanging.

Mr Gittins, who concluded Mr Dodd had killed himself, said while suicide could normally be a difficult conclusion to reach, the fact that both doors to the home were locked indicated he did not expect to be helped and that the act was not a cry for help.

He also pointed out that Mr Dodd had reported having had suicidal thoughts to his doctor.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read