Mum of Pentre man who stepped in front of train planned loan to pay for private treatment


David Humphreys

THE mother of a man who stepped in front of a train in Deeside told a coroner she planned to take out a loan to fund private mental health treatment for her son.

Jane Marks told an inquest she felt the health board was doing ‘absolutely nothing’ to help her son.

Ms Marks said on the day her son Christopher Glyn Jones from Pentre died, she had decided to take out a bank loan to finance placing the 

26-year-old in a ‘private institute’ because she ‘couldn't take it anymore’.

The inquest at Ruthin yesterday was told Mr Jones died of multiple injuries after he was struck by a train near to Chemistry Lane, Pentre, on June 11, 2015.

He was seen by the driver of a train leaving Flint towards Shotton at 9.30pm emerging from some bushes and running towards the front of the train.

In a statement, driver Tim Brooks said his approach to Shotton was at 75mph and when he saw a man appear in front of the train he applied the brakes, but there was ‘no way it was ever going to be able to stop’ in time.

Mr Brooks, a train driver for 18 years, said the vehicle came to a stop a half a mile down the track and it was clear it had struck the man.

Mr Jones’ medical cause of death, as determined by pathologist Dr Mark Atkinson at Glan Clwyd Hospital, was given as multiple injuries.

Giving evidence, Ms Marks said her son had grown up as a ‘happy little boy’ who loved computers, animals, wildlife, ecology and Star Wars.

Ms Marks said when her son was around 22, she left the family home to work abroad, which was a ‘difficult time for all of us’ and ‘the beginning of his mental health problems’.

Mr Jones suffered from ‘very, very bad anxiety’ but Ms Marks had ‘no understanding of what it could be’.

The inquest heard Mr Jones, who obtained an IT degree and worked briefly at the Countess of Chester Hospital, put all his efforts in to cycling but in 2012 was involved in a road accident while on his way to work in Wrexham.

He was in hospital for three weeks as a result and Ms Marks said while not a trigger, it was a ‘continuation’ of her son’s declining mental health and she noticed something was ‘seriously wrong’.

She added that during visits to her son his mood was flat and he became more isolated.

“I thought he’d come home and be okay again,” she said but explained a toxic atmosphere developed at home.

In autumn 2014 Ms Marks worked away in Abu Dhabi but returned home amid concerns for her son and on October 31 she received a call from police to say Mr Jones was distressed in the road, saying a hitman was going to get him. A 

passer-by had called police.

Ms Marks said she had heard of her son’s paranoid thoughts many times and contacted Queensferry medical practice on numerous occasions.

A statement from Dr Janette Fells said Mr Jones’ first mental health concerns were raised in February 2013 and he was kept under regular review following anxiety attacks in June 2014.

The Deeside Community Mental Health Team told Ms Marks they believed her son might have had post traumatic stress disorder and invited him to attend an appointment following which 

Mr Jones told his mother that he was ‘of sound mind’.

While Mr Jones was not taking prescribed medication, as he did not like it, he had taken an overdose because he felt the ‘security services were coming to kill him’.

Ms Marks said a paramedic told her to refuse to take her son home from hospital ‘because tomorrow I’ll be collecting his body’.

Upon arrival at Wrexham Maelor Hospital, Mr Jones said he intended to kill himself or hurt someone else. He was seen by psychological medics before being sent home.

Ms Marks said: “I think I was as frightened as he was. I just thought he was going to kill himself.”

A home treatments team came out the next day to see Mr Jones who was ‘clearly very paranoid’. He was later sectioned for 72 hours at Bangor Hospital.

Ms Marks told the inquest that around the time of Christmas 2014 Mr Jones spent time at the Heddfan Psychiatric Unit at Wrexham Maelor and during that period a journal was found in Mr Jones’ bedroom that stated he felt he was schizophrenic.

While consultants felt Mr Jones had improved, he was diagnosed with suffering from depression with psychosis.

Ms Marks said the handover from healthcare teams upon his return had been ‘disjointed’ and no real improvement was evident in her son’s condition and by the summer he had become more isolated and wouldn’t eat meals.

On the day of his death, Mr Jones was said to have been ‘happier than normal’ for a brief period and spoke of visiting Anglesey with his grandparents.

Ms Marks said on that day she had decided she would seek private treatment. She could stand it anymore because Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board was doing ‘absolutely nothing’.

She had contacted the community mental health team with her concerns that he was planning to harm himself.

Mr Jones took his dog out for a walk on the day of his death before going out once more at about 7pm with Ms Marks becoming concerned when he did not return.


DR Lenka Zigova saw Mr Jones at Queensferry Medical Practice in an emergency appointment in the days leading up to his death.

Giving evidence yesterday, Dr Zigova said Mr Jones told her his mood was low, he had not taken medication for three months and was feeling numb.

He felt he was was isolated from the outside world but denied any suicidal plans, saying he did not want to talk about it and wanted to move forward.

He had positive plans for the future with ideas on a new job.

Mr Jones said he was happy about the support from his counsellor and looked well in himself, Dr Zigova said, who added that ‘no psychotic symptoms’ were identified.

The GP added that treatment plans were discussed including coping strategies and counselling.

Mr Jones was prescribed two weeks of medication and the risks of anti-depressants were discussed as Dr Zigova said she considered his overdose history but there were no concerns for suicide at the time of consultation.

On cross-examination from family barrister Kate Beattie, Dr Zigova said she was not aware Mr Jones had researched suicide methods and his counsellor had felt the need to break confidentiality because of concerns he was a danger to himself.

She said she did not know Mr Jones was highly paranoid of everyone, spoke of suicide and was ‘waiting for guns to be fired’.

Dr Zigova said if she had access to the information, she would have asked for an urgent mental health assessment for Mr Jones.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read