Proposals to build wing-shaped restaurant units at a shopping park are going back before planners after a decision was previously delayed.
Plans to build two units at Broughton Shopping Park will once again be considered by Flintshire Council’s planning committee after angry members previously deferred the proposal.
It came after concerns were raised that the plans would lead to the loss of parking spaces – something members argued would cause serious issues at the park.
They delayed the proposal so they could hear what was being done by the shopping park to ensure suitable parking provision was provided.
In a report ahead of Wednesday’s meeting, Andrew Farrow, the council’s chief officer for planning and environment, said they had provided such details.
He said: “As the park has been under a period of refurbishment including the public realm areas and car parking, areas of the car park have been out of use as the works have been phased across the park.
“This has led to a reduction in the car parking available by 15 per cent during these works.
“This work to the car parking areas is now completed and the applicants instructed Atkins to undertake a ‘Review of Public Car Park Usage’ survey in order to demonstrate the levels of usage currently at the park.”
He added: “The survey was undertaken on two days a Friday and a Saturday in February.
“The survey showed that the car park by the cinema can become full when a surplus of spaces are available in other parts.
“The results across the park as a whole from the Friday show a 61 per cent occupancy at peak occupancy with 810 empty spaces.
“The Saturday results show a 85 per cent occupancy with 306 empty spaces.
“The surveys indicate that even when making allowance for the loss of spaces from this development there would at peak times still expect to be a surplus of approximately 200 spaces, with the park operating at 90 per cent occupancy.”
Mr Farrow said it was considered that the results provided were sufficient to suggest there would be sufficient capacity in the car park.
In the previous meeting, members expressed their dismay at the parking situation in Broughton Shopping Park.
Broughton councillor Derek Butler described it as “the biggest cul-de-sac in Broughton”.
Councillors were told the proposals would see the loss of dozens of spaces – including moving disabled spaces.